The Bologna suntans are fading but the Il Cinema Ritrovato memories are still vivid. So Peter Baran and I were delighted to be joined on our latest podcast by academic and film programmer Eloise Ross, as well as filmmaker Ian Mantgani and writer Philip Concannon from the Badlands Collective. We’re chatting about our highlights, discoveries and duds from the Il Cinema Ritrovato festival – a feast of archive, vintage and restored cinema, spanning silent and sound films.
The Silent London Podcast is also available on iTunes and Stitcher. If you like what you hear, please subscribe and leave a rating or review too. The podcast is presented in association with SOAS radio by Peter Baran and Pamela Hutchinson.
If you want to get in touch with us about anything you hear on the podcast then you can post a comment below, or tweet @silentlondon.
- My report on the silent films at Il Cinema Ritrovato 2019 is online here.
- Read more about all these films in the beautiful festival catalogue.
- Read Jose Arroyo on Le Chat here.
- David Cairns was blogging brilliantly at Bologna as ever – work backwards from here, maybe.
- This year I was once again a judge on the Il Cinema Ritrovato DVD Awards – you can see a full list of our winners here.
- The 2020 dates are out: the next Il Cinema Ritrovato runs 20-28 June 2020.
- Follow the Badlands Collective – they do great things!
- Listen to the Cultural Capital podcast – follow that here.
- Watch out for more from Peter Baran on Freaky Trigger.
- Can’t wait for Next year? take a trip to Bristol for Cinema Rediscovered.
- The Under Capricorn symposium takes place on 5-6 September 2019 at King’s College London.
- I use Letterboxd, sporadically, so have some capsule reviews of Ritrovato films on there.
- Silent London will always be free to all readers. If you enjoy checking in with the site, including reports from silent film festivals, features and reviews, please consider shouting me a coffee on my Ko-Fi page